The 2023 MSBA Leadership Conference is scheduled for Thursday, January 12, and Friday, January 13, 2023, at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
There is no registration fee for MSBA members to attend this two-day conference. MSBA provides this conference registration-fee free every January as part of members’ annual dues. School district staff, please access the conference registration link below.
The Leadership Conference features nationally recognized speakers, workshops on a variety of topics, an Exhibit Hall, a School Excellence Showcase, and a Recognition Luncheon. Early Bird Sessions are provided the evening before the conference. See the Leadership Conference program for more information.
Exhibitors and potential exhibitors, please scroll down for information about the Exhibit Hall.
Board Skills Sessions (8 a.m. Thursday, January 12)
Thursday Roundtable Sessions (1:45 p.m. Thursday, January 12)
Thursday Workshops (2:45 p.m. Thursday, January 12)
Thursday Workshops (4 p.m. Thursday, January 12)
Friday Roundtable Sessions (8 a.m. Friday, January 13)
Friday Workshops (9:15 a.m. Friday, January 13)
Visit the Minneapolis Convention Center’s Public Event Parking Options webpage to find places to park for the Leadership Conference. The Convention Center has partnered with four City of Minneapolis parking ramps to increase attendee convenience. All ramps are connected through the skyway system and are located within two blocks of the Convention Center.
REGISTRATION: Advance registration is open for the Leadership Conference. Registration will cover the general sessions, workshops, and roundtables held Thursday, January 12, and Friday, January 13, 2023, at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
School board members, please ask your school district office to register you in advance. The advance registration deadline is Wednesday, January 4.
Conference registration is closed, we will accept MSBA member walk-ins!
GUESTS: With the exception of the Recognition Luncheon on Thursday, no guests will be allowed to attend the 2023 Leadership Conference due to safety and security concerns. Everyone attending the conference must have a TSLeads-issued badge at all times. To purchase a luncheon ticket for a guest, please contact the MSBA office no later than January 2.
HOUSING: The hotel reservation website for the Leadership Conference is open! School district staff must log in to the MSBA website and click on the link below to make reservations for their school board members. The reservation deadline is Friday, December 9, 2022.
Note: The Hilton Hotel Minneapolis foreclosure auction will not impact our conference or rooms people have booked with the hotel. The auction will take place after our conference has ended.
Conference housing webpage: https://mnmsba.org/workshops-events/leadership-conference-housing
Early Bird Sessions are scheduled for 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 11, 2023, at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Members can choose from these two options:
- “The ABCs of Negotiations” — Presenters: MSBA staff members Tiffany Gustin, Maria Shinabarger, and John Ward
This session will provide a foundation for board members new to the bargaining team and a refresher for veteran negotiators. Participants will become acquainted with the negotiations process including applicable statutes impacting negotiations, the language of negotiations, pre-bargaining, and much more.
- “Bridging Divides: Tools and Skills for Collaborative Problem Solving” — Presenter: Katie Pratt and Jessica Shryack, Minnesota Office of Collaboration and Dispute Resolution
Let’s face it, most people are conflict avoidant. The truth is there are ways to handle conflict that can result in positive outcomes and stronger relationships. This workshop will focus on understanding conflict and effectively using collaboration skills to establish common ground and mutual respect. Come prepared to participate and leave with practical solutions that will help your school board and district thrive.
Advance registration fee: $125 ($135 for walk-in registrants) | Advance registration deadline: Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Registration is closed, we will accept MSBA member walk-ins!
The Leadership Conference Recognition Luncheon is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Thursday, January 12, in Room 200 A-J on Level Two (yellow level) at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
More than 160 board members will receive acknowledgement for qualifying in at least one of MSBA’s award categories: Service Awards (20 years, 30 years or 40 years), Directors’ Award, President’s Award, or Leadership Development Certificate.
Leadership Development Certificates and Directors’ Awards will soon be distributed, but the Service Awards and President’s Awards will be handed out at the Recognition Luncheon.
MSBA Honor Roll List: Click here to see if you and/or your school district is receiving an award this year.
Advance registration fee: $40 ($45 for walk-ins) | Advance registration deadline: Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Registration is closed, we will accept MSBA member walk-ins!
Each MSBA Director District will meet for a discussion, or caucus, on Thursday, January 12, 2023. Elections will be held for five open MSBA Board of Directors seats during the caucuses. Four seats are for three-year terms and one seat is for a two-year term.
- MSBA Director District 1 (southeast Minnesota): three-year term — current director: Nikki Gieseke, Owatonna (open seat) – Click here for election information
- MSBA Director District 4 (west metro): three-year term — current director: Cheryl Polzin, Wayzata (open seat) – Click here for election information
- MSBA Director District 7 (south metro): three-year term – current director: Joel Albright, Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan (open seat) – Click here for election information
- MSBA Director District 8 (Minneapolis and St. Paul): two-year term — current director: Kimberly Caprini, Minneapolis (open seat) – Click here for election information
- MSBA Director District 10 (west-central Minnesota): three-year term — current director: Jon Karger, Pelican Rapids – Click here for election information
In each Director District with an election, candidates will need to be nominated during the caucus, and each candidate will have the opportunity to speak.
- If only one nominee has been named for the District Director, a voice vote is appropriate.
- According to the MSBA Bylaws, if there are more than two candidates nominated, a vote would be taken at this time to determine the top two candidates
- In the event of a tie, the election to that office shall be determined by the judges by lot.
- MSBA Executive Director Kirk Schneidawind will present the newly elected MSBA Board Directors to the membership during the Closing Session of the Leadership Conference on Friday, January 13.
Each year, the MSBA Leadership Conference attracts more than 2,000 school board members, superintendents, business managers and school leaders – concerned people who are anxious to see and hear about new and better products and services in education. This is an excellent opportunity for you to reach potential customers in a very professional atmosphere. Click on the link below to request a booth at the Leadership Conference today!
Applications to submit a School Excellence Showcase proposal for the 2023 Leadership Conference are now closed. Please contact Maria Shinabarger at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Applications to submit a workshop and/or roundtable proposal for the 2023 Leadership Conference are now closed. Please contact Maria Shinabarger at email@example.com if you have questions regarding workshop and/or roundtable proposals.
Nominations closed October 17 for the MSBA All-State School Board and the Rising Star Award. Also, October 17 was the nomination deadline for the Minnesota School Board Directors of Color & Indigenous Fellowship awards.