MSBA/MASA Day at the Capitol
What: MSBA/MASA Day at the Capitol
When: Monday, March 20, 2023
Where: Radisson Hotel St. Paul Downtown, 161 St. Anthony Avenue, St. Paul
Members from MSBA and the Minnesota Association of School Administrators (MASA) will gather from 7:30 a.m. to noon Monday morning for networking and learning, and to hear from some of Minnesota’s education policy and finance decision-makers (see schedule below).
In the afternoon, attendees are welcome to meet with their school district’s legislators. Attendees will have to schedule these meetings on their own — click here to find who represents your school district.
Note: The Senate Education Policy Committee meeting scheduled for 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, March 20, has been cancelled — this will give members more flexibility in meeting with their local legislators
Prepare for meetings with local legislators:
Registration and Hotel Reservations
Date of event: Monday, March 20, 2023
Registration fee: Online registration is closed, but walk-in registrants can attend for $80. (The fee covers continental breakfast, lunch, program materials, and parking at the hotel.)
Registration: Direct registration-related questions to Jen Ebert at firstname.lastname@example.org. (All registrations should be coordinated through the district office.)
Radisson Hotel St. Paul Downtown (formerly Best Western Capitol Ridge), 161 St. Anthony Avenue, St. Paul
If you plan to stay at the Radisson the night of Sunday, March 19, please click here to access the special room rate for MSBA and MASA members.
- Room rate: $129 (plus tax) for a room with two queen beds.
- Note: Free room cancellation before 6 p.m. March 18, 2023
MSBA/MASA Day at the Capitol Agenda
Download a printable version of the MSBA/MASA Day the Capitol agenda.
Monday, March 20
7:30 a.m. Check-in/Continental Breakfast/Networking
8:00 a.m. Welcome — Kirk Schneidawind, MSBA Executive Director and Dr. Matthew Hillmann, MASA President
8:15 a.m. A Video Message to Members from Minnesota Education Commissioner Willie Jet
8:30 a.m. Review of the Governor’s Budget Priorities — Cathy Erickson, Director of School Finance, and Adosh Unni, J.D., Director of Government Relations, Minnesota Department of Education
9:30 a.m. Panel: House and Senate Education Policy Decision-Makers
- Chair Steve Cwodzinski – Senate Education Policy
- Chair Laurie Pryor – House Education Policy
- Rep Peggy Bennett – House Education Policy, Republican lead
- Senator Zach Duckworth – Senate Education Policy
10:15 a.m. Panel: House and Senate Education Finance Decision-Makers
- Vice Chair Heather Gustafson – Senate Education Finance
- Senator Jason Rarick – Senate Education Finance, Republican lead
- Chair Cheryl Youakim – House Education Finance
- Rep Ben Bakeberg – House Education Finance
11:00 a.m. Lunch and learn with Jay Stoffel, Executive Director of Teachers Retirement Association – Update on TRA proposals
11:20 a.m. Issues you need to understand for Effective Advocacy – Denise Dittrich, Kim Lewis and Valerie Dosland, MSBA/MASA Government Relations
11:55 a.m. Final instructions and logistics for your day at the Capitol, Andrea Cuene, MSBA Government Relations
12:30 p.m. The Senate Education Policy Committee Meeting has been CANCELED.
3:30 p.m. Possible floor sessions (optional) — Watch for details as schedules become available.
Please remember to schedule meetings with your local legislators well in advance of our Day at the Capitol.
Also, feel free to attend your previously scheduled meetings with your elected legislators at any point during the day.
Another option is to ask your State Representative to leave the floor session to meet with you outside the House chambers.
MSBA Event Cancellation Policy
Cancellation by Meeting Participants for MSBA/MASA Day at the Capitol
(1) If a pre-registered participant cancels any time prior to the date registration closes, MSBA will fully refund the registration fee.
(2) If a pre-registered participant cancels between the date registration closes until the time the MSBA-sponsored event/activity begins, he/she will be charged an administration fee of $30.
(3) Once an event/activity begins, all registrants are responsible for the full registration fee.