The MSBA Virtual Day at the Capitol — Take Action Thursday is currently scheduled for 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, March 17, 2022. An MSBA Virtual Lobby Day is slated for March 24 — a day we encourage school board members to engage with their local legislators.
MSBA’s Virtual Day at the Capitol
- Thursday, March 17, 2022 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Registration: Registration closed on March 15
- Fee: There is NO fee for members to participate
Join your colleagues for a great day preparing for legislative engagement. Denise Dittrich (MSBA Director of Government Relations) and Kimberley Dunn Lewis (MSBA Associate Director of Government Relations) will break down what is in play for education issues during the remainder of the 2022 legislative session. Take Action Thursday will keep MSBA members informed and connected — and show them how to take action by advocating for public education.
- Terri Yetter — the Director of the School Finance Division at the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) — will discuss the Minnesota state budget forecast and its expected impact to K-12 education. Yetter will also talk about enrollment, aid, funding, and everything else that affects district finances.
- Speaker of the House Melissa Hortman (Democrat) and Senate Assistant Majority Leader Zach Duckworth (Republican) have also been invited to present and discuss education-related issues.
MSBA’s Virtual Lobby Day
- Thursday, March 24, 2022
- Registration: No registration necessary
The MSBA Government Relations staff encourages you to schedule meetings in advance for Thursday, March 24, with the state House and Senate members who represent your school district.
- These meetings can be held either through Zoom or by phone.
- Recruit someone from your school district team to join you — whether it be one of your school board colleagues, your superintendent, or another district staff member.
- MSBA will provide you with advocacy tips, talking points, and other materials in support of your meetings during the Virtual Day at the Capitol on March 17 (see above).
- Visit the MSBA Government Relations’ Be Informed webpage to access the 2022 MSBA Legislative Platform and MSBA’s Legislative Policies.
Please visit https://www.gis.lcc.mn.gov/iMaps/districts to see who represents you.
Also, you are welcome to contact the chairs of the Legislature’s education committees:
- Senator Roger Chamberlain, chair of the Senate Education Finance and Policy Committee
- Representative Jim Davnie, chair of the House Education Finance Committee
- Representative Ruth Richardson, chair of the House Education Policy Committee
- Representative Dave Pinto, chair of the House Early Childhood Finance and Policy Committee
Cancellation by Meeting Participants for MSBA Day at the Capitol
(1) If a pre-registered participant cancels any time prior to the date registration closes, MSBA will fully refund the registration fee.
(2) If a pre-registered participant cancels between the date registration closes until the time the MSBA-sponsored event/activity begins, he/she will be charged an administration fee of $30.
(3) Once an event/activity begins, all registrants are responsible for the full registration fee.