The House Education Finance Committee released its final omnibus education bill (HF4328) on Monday, April 16. The committee is scheduled to review the bill at 1 p.m. today at the State Office Building in St. Paul.
Some highlights of the House omnibus education bill include proposals to:
- Expand the usage of the Long-Term Facilities Maintenance Program to allow for physical modifications to school facilities.
- Provide $16.6 million in Safe School revenue, which includes a new aid component and equalization. This provision would also establish a floor (minimum) to meet the needs of our greater Minnesota school districts.
- Provide $5 million for school-linked mental health grants.
- Establish a Special Education Working Group.
MSBA has concerns with some policy requirements contained within the omnibus bill, including:
- A prescriptive new policy mandate that requires all school districts to establish a threat-assessment team — and a district team to oversee the threat-assessment team.
- An additional academic accountability rating system.
- Restrictions placed on the school district lunch policy.
Stay in touch with the MSBA Government Relations Team as the 2018 session heads to the finish line. Your voice matters. Send questions or concerns to Grace Keliher (email@example.com), Denise Dittrich (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kimberley Dunn Lewis (email@example.com).