PELSB adopts new flexibilities for teacher licensure for school districts
Rulemaking Completed: The Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) published its Notice of Adoption for its R-4615 rulemaking project in the April 10 State Register. This is the final step of the rulemaking process. Many of the new rules go into effect on April 15, 2023.
Substitute Teaching (Effective April 15, 2023): An individual holding a short-call substitute license is now authorized to replace a teacher or vacancy for up to 20 consecutive school days (formerly 15 consecutive days).
Out-of-Field Permissions (Effective April 15, 2023): A school district is now able to bypass the posting requirement (15 or 60 days) when:
- The teacher is enrolled in a teacher preparation program aligned to the assignment; or
- The assignment is 0.25 FTE or less.
Out-of-State Teachers can received Middle Level Licenses (Effective April 15, 2023): PELSB will issue a stand-alone middle level license when:
- The teacher held a license from out-of-state aligned to the license sought and has two years of teaching experience; or
- The teacher completed a teacher preparation program aligned to the license sought and completed student teaching equivalent to the student teaching requirement in Minnesota. (Note: The student teaching requirement is waived when the teacher has two or more years of teaching experience.)
Teachers who held multiple licenses in other states, for example, elementary education and middle level math, must apply for both licenses in Minnesota. Only teachers who received a stand-alone middle level license out-of-state are eligible to receive a stand-alone middle level license in Minnesota.
Standards of Effective Practice (Effective April 15, 2023): The Standards of Effective Practice are the essential knowledge and skills a teacher needs in order to be effective from “Day 1” in the classroom. PELSB adopted a new set of Standards of Effective Practice – relying on years of stakeholder input, as well as research on the science of learning and development.
Teachers seeking an initial Tier 3 license through the licensure via portfolio process can begin using the new Standards of Effective Practice on April 15, 2023; though, they can continue using the old standards through July 1, 2025.
Ability to expand to full scope (Effective April 15, 2023): A teacher with a Tier 3 or Tier 4 restricted license will be able to expand the scope of their license to full scope at the time of initial application or renewal if:
- The teacher has two years of teaching experience in the content area within two grade levels of a currently approved Minnesota licensure scope.
- The teacher has completed field-specific student teaching within two grade levels of a currently approved Minnesota licensure scope.
- The teacher has completed: (a) field-specific methods and (b) an evaluated field experience.
Example: Teacher A holds a 1-6 Elementary Education license and has taught grade 1 for 20 years. At the time of Teacher A’s next renewal, Teacher A can request to expand the scope of their Elementary Education license to K-6.
If a teacher has a restricted license, the license will indicate that it is “restricted.” A teacher with a 5-8 Math restricted license may expand the scope of their license with one of the pathways above, but a teacher with a 5-8 Middle Level Math endorsement would need to complete an additional licensure program in 5-12 math or submit a 5-12 math portfolio.
PELSB’s next information session will be held on April 24 and will address the new flexibilities highlighted in this newsletter. The listening session – for districts, hiring personnel, and others involved in licensure and employment matters – will also include updates on hiring, as well as general updates, with plenty of time for Q&A. All are welcome to attend.
Please come with your questions and join us for this interactive session. You may register by clicking the button below.
- When: Noon to 1 p.m. Monday, April 24, 2023
- Format: WebEx
- Registration: Click here to access registration for this session.