- This event has passed.
January 29 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Please join Braver Angels for an intensive online workshop, in two sessions, that will bring together Republican-leaning and Democratic-leaning citizens for structured conversations, with a focus on listening and reflecting rather than debating and persuading. We will use technology to facilitate collaborative discussions and the sharing of ideas.
- To better understand the experiences and beliefs of those on the other side of the political divide.
- To seek out areas of common ground in addition to acknowledging and respecting differences.
- To gain insights that might help to heal the increasing polarization in our community and the nation.
Who can come? Anyone interested in developing a deeper understanding of, and connection with, people whose political beliefs differ from their own. You should honestly be able to answer “yes” to the following question:
“Are you willing to listen to the other side, and are you willing to speak to the other side with respect?”
This event is Session 1, which includes the Stereotypes and Fishbowl exercises. The organizer of this event will be in touch with participants about scheduling Session 2.
Workshop Details: There are two ways to join a Red/Blue Workshop: as a Participant or as an Observer/Alternate.
- Participants will engage in small – and large – group discussions throughout the day with individuals of both the same and different political persuasions. Participants must identify as “red” (Republican or leaning conservative) or “blue” (Democrat or leaning liberal). We will strive for an equal balance of red and blue participants: 5 to 7 people on each side.
- Observers/Alternates can identify as red, blue or independent (not leaning either way). They will not participate in the discussions directly but will have the opportunity to watch and listen throughout the day, as well as to join the participants for conversations during break times. Observers/Alternates should be ready to step in and participate as their “color” in the event of participant cancellations.
- In areas that have a geographic “color” imbalance, allowing for up to 15 Observers/Alternates provides an opportunity for more people to experience a Red/Blue workshop. Observer/Alternates have found observing a workshop to be amazingly valuable.
- The workshop will be offered over Zoom and is 3 hours long.
Everyone who signs up will receive a phone call or email from an organizer. Organizers reserve the right to switch people between Participant and Observer/Alternate status depending on the needs of the workshop.